Tuesday, June 3, 2014

"Soqee Life Water"

Submitted by:  Clarence Mason

Soquee Life Water

            As I grew up it took several years before I learned the true spelling of Soquee. Reading history books brought my attention to the double e's in Soquee. This makes better understanding on how to pronounce the word as many people just do not correctly pronounce it. The double e's seem to give Soquee a special ring when speaking the word. Spelling Soquee gives recognition to the many ancient people over this land. Many other places and people end their names with the double e's. All over Georgia and many surrounding states spell names ending in two e's.
            I made friend with John and Nancy when I told them I was glad they used the old spelling of Soquee. I could see her eyes sparkle. Some of my ancestor McClures worked for the Kollocks in the 1800's and are buried in that area. My mom was born up on the left fork of the Soquee near Chimney Mountain before moving to south of Clarkesville in 1919 where I still live today. I played along the Soquee and Mines Shoals where the old early 1800's Soquee Woolen Mill was before it burned. I fished much of Habersham Mills Lake.
            The Soquee is beautiful on up above the silted muddy part above town. The spelling may never be changed back like it used to be. Many people of influence could begin to spell Soquee if they would and change signs but many are not the local people and don't care.